Friday, December 4, 2009

Belgium Galettes




Nothing says Christmas like a tray of cookies..... One of the cookies that I LOVE but am only learning to make is the Belgium cookie called Galettes. I was introduce to this simple treat by one of our neighbors when I was growing up in Ford City. Donnie Kutchenriter's family was from Belgium, as were a number of others who came to this country in the early part of the 1900's to work in the glass factories of Western Pennsylvania. She made two kinds of waffle-like cookies-- this one that I am working on is like a regular waffle only about 2 inches in diameter and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Another variety of this cookie is a bit thinner ( kind of like a pizzelle) but the iron that is used to make this cookie has a much finer grid than traditional waffles and is not decorated as a pizzelle iron is.
After we were married, I was introduced to them again when Bill's mom would have these cookies made for the holidays. She shared with me the original black cast iron waffle iron that Bill's grandfather brought from Belgium to make these cookies. I have attempted to use this iron but lack the finesse ( and patience!!!) that is required to use this iron well. After much hunting, (and a discussion with my Aunt Francis Palilla) I purchased a regular, old electric waffle iron to use to make these cookies. Sandy and I have made them twice and have great success with the following recipe that I found on the internet. I did find My mother's recipe from Donnie but haven't tried it yet..... These cookies taste better if made ahead of time, and I am sure would mail well if you need to send cookies somewhere. Enjoy the process of this beautiful season!!!!

Galettes or Belgium Waffle cookies
1 # butter ( I use margarine)
6 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla or rum or whiskey
6 c. flour

Cream butter, eggs and sugars together in an electric mixer. Sift dry ingredients together, and add to the butter, egg mixture. Dough will be soft. Chill dough for several hours or over night. Roll into small balls or drop by teaspoonfuls in hot waffle iron. Dust with powdered sugar on both sides. Store in a cool, dry place. You may need to repowder these before serving.


6 comments:

  1. My great grandmother made these at Christmas and learned to make them from her Grandmother and mother who had also come to the US from Belgium because the men of the family were glass workers. Our glass workers settled in Anderson, Indiana. I have a copy of her recipe that I tried last year with some success. My uncle has the family iron and maybe I'll try it that way some day but like you, I just used my regular old waffle iron. Ours call for "cinnamon to taste" and my uncles thought mine were not nearly as cinnamony as my great grandmother's. I'll try again this year and see how I can do. I wonder if Mimmie also put rum or whiskey in hers but just didn't write it down. Maybe that was the secret ingredient. :-) My family name that has handed down these cookies was Lechien. So glad to hear of others who enjoy them too. I never knew of anyone else who had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family also has passed down their galette recipe from our Belgium heritage and were also glass workers. Leon Houze is my great great Grandfather and he started the Houze Glass Factory in Point Marion, PA. It burnt down and then my Grandfather, Armand Houze Jr. moved the family to Hartford City, IN to work at Indiana Glass. I grew up in Bloomington, IN. My family is large but also has the family iron passed down. There are only a few of us who can make it how the elders remember it should be. They definitely used Whiskey in theirs. My son is in Boy Scouts and they are doing an International Potluck representing their heritage and we plan to bring galettes as his dish. :) Wish me luck!

      Delete
    2. My grandfather also came from Belgium to work in glass factories as a hand cutter and worked in Point Marion PA before he came to Clarksburg, WV. He made the BEST gallettes in the world, but after my mom passed, we couldn't find the recipe. Anxious to try this one to see if they are like the ones my grandfather made.

      Delete
  2. Hi our family as well from WV enjoyed these every year. I am trying to find one of the original recipes if you could send me one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather came from Belgium with his family as well. I grew up with the Gazette Christmas cookies also. My sisters and I have our grandmother's recipe. It is very similar. I have had problems with my cookie hardening too much after cooled. Not sure what to adjust. Our Belgium family name is Roland. Our family settled in Oklahoma and worked in the coal mines and then the glass factory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The galette your talking about are not the same as the ones I ate in Belgium, these are more like waffles, holes are too deep, real Begium galettes are 3 to 4 inches in diameter and the indentations are half the size of waffles, sorry these are not real galettes.

    ReplyDelete